You need to Disable the PASV mode (passive mode) in the Cute FTP application if your ftp connection stop at a message 'Connecting data socket...' or if you get an error 'Failed to establish data socket'
To disable this option Under Cute FTP Please follow the instructions given below. Any other FTP Client will also have similar parameters as explained.Following are the steps.
1. Open Cute FTP application on your system.
2. In the Menu bar Click on Edit and click on Settings.
3. A new window will open.
4. Please Click on the '+' sign in front of 'Connections' so that the options under it gets listed.
5. Click on the third option i.e. 'Firewall'.
6. On the right bottom of the window you will find 'PASV' mode. Please unselect the option.
7. Click on Apply to save the settings and reconnect.
8. Click OK
9. Your website has been configured and the host site is listed for FTP.
10. To transfer files from the local system to the any particular directory on the host web server, Click on the Connect button on the FTP Site Manager as displayed in the following screen.
11. Below is given the screen shot of Ws FTP application.See that the 'Passive Mode' is disabled(unselect this option).
12. Click on 'Save' and connect.
13. Cute FTP is one, Client FTP application illustrated here. Similar applications can be configured with the given parameters.